Saturday, November 14, 2009

Sunny Day, Sweepin' the Cloud Away.....

Growing up, we didn't have cable.  We lived too far out in the country to even qualify for it.  That left for lots of time to use the imagination, read books, and watch the one kid-friendly channel that did come in- PBS.  My sister and I would watch Zoobilly Zoo, Square One, and Reading Rainbow religiously.  The top favorite though, hands down, was Sesame Street.

Sesame Street has been a lifelong obsession for me.  What could be cooler than friendly furry monsters teaching you about life?  I learned my first Spanish from watching Maria on Sesame Street.  I learned how to do math from it, and how to face some of life's questions. 







When I was a kid, I remember receiving Sesame Street magazine in the mail, and that was a big highlight of my day.  As a teenager, I still obsessed over Elmo and Grover and the gang (don't judge!).  As an adult, I nearly had a heart attack when I realized that the Muppets were on temporary display at the Smithsonian, and you better believe I hopped on the first Metro and got myself down there.  And yes, I was the one who got in trouble for trying to take pictures of them.....lol.  I was like a kid in a candy store.

So as we celebrate 40 years of Sesame Street being on the air this year, I just want to pay homage to the show.  You are my all time favorite.  You inspire me and have played a role in my decision to work with children.  You are the master of teaching children with cool spoofs that even adults enjoy, and that has been the catalyst for my ideas on staging/media/etc. at my work! 

In closing, I have to pay homage to my favorite character- Grover.  Who can resist the furry lovable zaniness?


3 comments:

  1. We watched it too! We always loved the Count...ONE ah ah ah, TWO ah ah ah...;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww sis, good times, good times. I tend to buy Nathan only Sesame stuff b/c it's so nostalgic for me. He does love some Elmo though. THanks for bringing a smile to my face. And thank you Children's Television Workshop and PBS.

    ReplyDelete