Saturday, November 14, 2009

Twilight Obsession

I'll be honest.  About a year ago, I thought the Twilight fans were nuts.  They fit into the same category as die-hard Trekkies and Harry Potter fans to me.  No offense to anyone, I just didn't get it.  Nevertheless, I joined a book club and our first read was Twilight, so I got the book and started reading.  I thought it was pretty good and asked for the rest of the series for Christmas.  On the plane ride back home, I started in on New Moon.




10 months later, I was still drudging through New Moon.  That's right kids, it took me 10 months to push through the slow portions of New Moon.  Everyone kept telling me that if I just got through the middle of New Moon, I would love the rest.  THEY WERE RIGHT.

Over the last month, I have become a Twi-hard (that's the nickname for Twilight fans).  I sacrificed sleep, dreamed about vampires and warewolves, and pushed myself to finish the 700ish page final book in just a few days.  Now I totally get it.....they really are that captivating.

Yesterday Stephanie Meyer (the author) was on Oprah and I thought it interesting that she had never written even a short story before she wrote this series.  While I certainly don't count Twilight as a new classic, I think that she did a pretty good job at creating a book that has captivated kids, teens, soccer moms, and all the rest of us Twilighters!

No comments:

Post a Comment