Friday, October 16, 2009

Movie Review: Whip It



My Monday Funday (I'm off on Mondays!) turned out to be a cloudy one, so I decided to go see a new movie during the matinee.  On a tangent- I love going to the movies by myself.  It is very liberating to get out and do something I want to do without waiting for a friend to come along.  Don't get me wrong, I love spending time with my friends, but when you're off on Mondays and want to have fun, you have to find it yourself most of the time.

Back to the movie.....Whip It was all I expected it to be and more.  When you have Ellen Page and Drew Berrymore together, it just cannot go wrong.  The movie was unique, as it is about a Southern girl growing up in a small town whose mom wants her to be the perfect, pageant queen, Southern belle.  Well, that girl (Ellen Page) is more into the alternative scene and finding her own identity.  When she hears about a roller derby team, she decides to try out for it, and ends up being a star.  It is a great story about small town life, longing for something more, and busting out of her family's expectations.  A coming of age tale but with a modern twist. 

No comments:

Post a Comment